Saturday, November 7, 2009

First post, a wee bit of background...

Ok, so this is my first post. I cant promise to update this on a hugely frequent basis, solely because the whole emigration process doesnt happen too quickly but I will update with any relevant happenings (or anything else I fancy posting really!)

A wee bit of background info then. Im a midwife, recently qualified in 2008. Before that I was a learning disability nurse for 10 long years. My other half is a BT engineer.

Although I was lucky enough to secure a job when I qualified my one year contract is about to run out and there's no funds in the budget to extend it so, come Jan '10 I'm unemployed with no sign of any job prospects. I've considered NZ for a few years but now my OH is on board too so we're starting the process of applying for visas and my NZ midwifery registration.

At the moment we're waiting to hear if my OH has been successful in his application for voluntary redundancy from his job with BT. The outcome of that will affect our timescales but not the final plans.

So, right now we're kinda in limbo, but in the main we're...
-Doing lots of research into cost of living in NZ and reading some scary posts on other forums about how high it is!!
-Checking out house rentals, houses in NZ are an 'interesting' bunch (I'll post some links later on to show you what I mean)
-Job hunting, having a choice is a major novelty!
-Printing off the huge amount of paperwork that we need to fill in, firstly for my midwifery registration and then for the visa itself.

I'll update this as things happen (or dont happen that should do) and will any major news (and probably also just when I want a rant or moan about the whole process.

Lx

No comments:

Post a Comment